Preparing your house to sell:
Getting your home ready for sale can be a significant investment. There are several ways to make your house more sell-able, and in turn, receive a top dollar offer. Here are some basic tips for preparing your home for showings:
Landscape and freshen up the exterior to improve curb appeal.
It does not matter how great of an interior your house boasts, if the exterior is unwelcoming. People will not be drawn to your home if it looks unkempt!
- Tidy your yard. Trimming bushes, cutting grass, clearing weeds and adding a few pots of brightly colored flowers can make your house so much more inviting.
- Pressure washing your home’s exterior or adding a fresh coat of paint if it still looks worn and tired can also help increase curb appeal.
- Make sure your front patio and door are fresh and clean looking. Sweep area and repaint front door if necessary.
Get rid of clutter.
Space sells! It is hard for a buyer to visualize themselves living in a house if it is full of clutter!
- Move unnecessary furniture into storage or into the garage and store out-of-season clothing.
- Clearing out spaces in rooms and closets can make your home appear larger.
Repair and Maintain Your Home.Most buyers are looking for move-in ready homes.
- Repair/replace items such as torn screens, leaky faucets and drywall cracks as they can scare away a potential Buyer.
- Replace any burnt out light bulbs.
- Carpets should be cleaned and replaced if they’re old and worn.
Clean, clean, clean!
Dirty homes, and bad odors can turn off potential buyers
- Make sure the house smells fresh and clean.
- Open a few windows, clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate odors, and consider soft candles or air fresheners to give an inviting scent.
- Keep home in exceptionally clean condition. Make sure all windows and blinds are clean, and all switch plates, doors and molding are extra clean.